Tuesday, April 25, 2006

I'll Have A Burritto Instead...Thanks


So - that latest drama to overtake Scottsdale is the announcement that the "Pink Taco" restaurant concept (owned by Harry Morton..boy have THEY stooped) wants some of the VERY pricey space at the new Scottsdale Waterfront. Mayor Mary Manross is appalled and suggesting that a liquor liscense might be a little beyond thier reach. If the name wasn't reason enough to threaten them with a liquorless establishment, I should think the claim that "Phoenix doesn't really have any good Mexican restuarants" WHAT?! OK DUDE - Phoenix may not be the culinary capital of the country..but really..cut me some slack...if we can boast the best PIZZA in the country (Pizzaria Bianco) surely we can get some credit for our awesome Mexican food. For that reason ALONE you are not allowed to open a restuarant in my beloved city.

My Mom read the article. Thank god the article explained the double entrendre of that very sassy name, because in an astonishing role reversal, I found myself a little embarrassed to be discussing anything called the "Pink Taco", let alone an EATING establishment. Now..I also felt very old because I only recently learned (gratefully before my Mom) what that term means...I was mortified because it was AFTER I bought someone a T-shirt from the very tamely named establishment "Dos Gringos", that said "One Hot Taco". After recovering from that humiliation the conversation with my Mom WAAAAAAY too closely followed.
So besides the conversation with Mom...and the T-shirt embarrassment...I don't really CARE if the Pink Taco moves into Scottsdale. People who know what it means...well...they probably won't spend alot of time thinking about it - though...given the reference, I'm not sure it would be my first dining choice. And everyone else will think its a cute name for an over priced Taco joint.
Who do you think explained the meaning of "Pink Taco" to Mayor Manross? Huh.

1 comment:

Kimmie G said...

That's actually pretty funny, although I shudder to think how I'd explain the term to my mom, too. Actually, I'd probably just throw it out there and let her do with it what she will. Given the opportunity, I'll never check this new place out, because it just sounds too dirty (like that Between the Buns place on Scottsdale Road). More frightening, and I agree with you wholeheartedly, is the assertion that there's no good Mexican food in Phoenix. To the guy who said that, I say, try finding good Mexican food anywhere other than Phoenix (and California). You all would shudder to see what passes for "good" Mexican food out here (in Boston). I might even try out the Pink Taco, such is my desperation sometimes. I'd be lying if I didn't say that yummy Mexican food isn't a proponent for my move back out west this summer!!