Thursday, January 22, 2009

OOOOOOOOHHHMMMMMMMM


Growing up I really only played two sports: water skiing and snow skiing. I was pretty good at both and I really enjoyed them. My dad always told me that I was good at them because they used "big muscles" and no hand-eye coordination (thanks, for the boost of confidence, Dad). A side note - I later found out that I could be good at golf..which BTW, requires hand-eye coordination.

ANYWAY - it was always embarrassing to me how much I would sweat during gym class..I suppose I was particularly surprised by this as you don't notice it much in the water or in the winter.

If you think hearing about my sweating is TMI, stop now, because there is a theme here.

So, as an adult, I haven't really done much in the sports area. A couple of hikes up Camelback not withstanding, but there was always a nice breeze up there..and the desert has a way of drying you out. One of the BIG reasons is that I really hate how much I sweat.

Imagine my surprise at finding out my latest passion: Bikram Yoga. If you aren't familiar with this particular form of yoga, it's 90 minutes of hardcore yoga in a room heated to over 100 degrees. Essentially it's yoga x10 in a sauna. I love it. I can't imagine my life without it anymore. A side note: apparently you can burn 900+ calories during this time.

During yoga, you should really only worry about yourself, focus on your own practice, that however, is a more evolved yoga practice than mine. I look in the mirror at other people, Alot. And, while I am envious of some of the really fit flexible people in my class, I also notice they all look so lovely and delicate..not me. I sweat. Alot. And my closely held suspicion that I sweat more than the average person is TOTALLY confirmed.

My only hope is that sweat is like the eggs in a woman's ovaries: there is only a limited amount. I will keep going until I "sweat it out"

OOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHMMMMMMMM.

1 comment:

Mama Mia said...

OH yeah baby! OOOOHHHHMMMM! Love it! You're hilarious, you do know that right? (sweat, eggs, FUNNY!)