Tuesday, May 30, 2006

It's Official

You KNOW its for real because it took me over a week to post the news of Jeff's and my engagement. The reason its taken this long..is that the wedding has already taken over my life..I have a GIGANTIC binder already...complete with spreadsheets and comparisons..and ANGST. Let me lay it out for you: I planned events - but NEVER a wedding...for this reason: PSYCHO brides...of which I am on the brink of becoming..already! As a direct result of 3,000 discussions about said wedding, and one not so lovely "disagreement" my fiance' (I'm not used to that yet) is BEGGING me to hire a planner. AND - here's the kicker...I'm starting to see the wisdom...I think we can afford it if we could just get this guest list down.....this guest list, the bane of my existance aleady....as it includes, at least on my side, every single person to whom I have ever said the words "I am never getting married"..in other words, everyone I have ever met. Yah. Its staggering..and let me tell you people...its getting edited. So don't be offended because this affair can only be so grand..if we hope to actually BUY a home when its all over. What's TOTALLY got me freaked (about my own lack of discipline regarding the guest list) is that as it stands right now, Jeff's side of the list (including his 4 siblings, thier spouses and thier children [of which there are 11]) is STILL bigger than Jeff's. So the red pen will have to come out. And if ONE more person tells me "Oh, they won't all come" I'm taking them off the list FIRST...because you see...if I INVITE someone, I WANT them to come...not do the "Elaine dance" for every "No, Thanks" that I get. Yah KNOW?!
So stay tuned for bride-zilla updates and probably the opportunity to vote on a couple of things (like the spring pants, which I never bought). I am THINKING of even posting some wedding dresses...because after all - you'll be SO surprised to see me in white, let alone a DRESS...you'll never remember how you voted!
I'm already a nut job, aren't I? I need a planner so I can keep up the blog.

1 comment:

Kimmie G said...

Five of my lessons learned, though you probably won't listen to me about them, but will see the wisdom of them after the fact:
#1: Every bride deserves to wear white. No matter the evidence to the contrary.
#2: (And this one's important) The wedding is great, but spend your "excitement energy" looking forward to the honeymoon. It lasts longer, and is a hell of a lot more fun.
#3: Something will go wrong. Realize it, reconcile yourself to it, embrace it.
#4: Guest list control -- if there is anyone that you both need to be introduced to, they don't get an invite. Everyone there must be known to one of you. Also, only husbands, fiances and "others" of more than three years get to be added. Everyone else could be dumped by the time the pictures are developed.
#5: Spend the money on the photography. At the end of the day, it's all you've got to remember the event.
#6: Always, always, always invite your blogger friends. (Mwah!)