Monday, July 31, 2006

MTV Turns 25 This Week

Feeling old yet? Yep. Me too. I remember MTV in bits and spots...Mom and Dad wouldn't let us have cable..so I would go to my friend Amy's...and stare at the cool people in cool clothes, dancing in a cool way..and oh, there was music too. I remember seeing Tom Petty and thinking "he is the ugliest man alive!!" I mean there is a man for whom MTV really didn't do any favors. Mark Goodman (remember him? One of the first VJ's) says the Madonna-MTV relationship was very symbiotic...they both benefited immensely.. Same goes for Michael Jackson...as a child of the '80's I would DEFINATELY have to agree...MTV very heavily influenced the cool factor of both of those two iconic entertainers!

Do you realize thier average viewer today is 20? They don't even REMEMBER "Like a Virgin" or "Thriller" and they certianly don't know who the hell Mark Goodman is...and even more to the point...they don't even remember MTV. You know what I mean..the REAL MTV without "Real World" "Brittney and Kevin Chaos" (or whatever it was called)...they don't know why it was called MUSIC TELEVISION!! Do you realize that?!

THEN:
Music..videos
NOW:
Celebrity TV

THEN:
Micheal Jackson makes history in '83 by being first black musician on MTV
NOW:
TRY and find a music channel without a black guy. Go ahead..I dare you to try.

THEN:
"Like a Virgin" is a scandelous song title and video
NOW:
Oh, how we long for our innocence

THEN:
Mark Goodman = HOT
NOW
Damien (who knows his last name)=DORK.

THEN:
Blondie
NOW:
Pussy Cat Dolls

It all leads to this:
THEN:
MTV breaking entertainment and social ground
NOW:
Desperately trying to keep up with the "crazy kids" of today

Here's more of "then and now" for you, straight off the MTV site, music of then and now

"Betch'a wish your MTV was hot like me...Betcha wish your MTV was nasty like me...."

No comments: