
Gobble Gobble. Its THANKSGIVING.
I LOVE Thanksgiving. For our family its always been a day for that-family. Our family has extended and grown over the years. Jeff and I met at a post-Thanksgiving party given by Sandra and Adam (extended family if there ever was)..and so this Thanksgiving marks our 4 years together, and our first as a married couple. Thanksgiving is just a day to indulge...be drunk on the luxury of sitting around with friends and family..maybe the football game is on..maybe its not..Maybe you caught the Macy's parade on TV...Maybe you sat with a family member and talked... Maybe you had an extra piece of Turkey, maybe an extra helping of wine. Regardless..what other day of the year do you actually have to sit around and be a family again the way its meant to be?
Our Thanksgiving is so different this year...but it won't spoil my fun..no SIR EE! I'm the GRATEFUL member of a new family, the Coomans clan and this year, Peggy and Greg are hosting my Mom, Jeff and I so that my Mom can take the day off too for the first time in probably 20 years. And my new family did it with love in their hearts with the true spirit of Thanksgiving since our family has been in such a state of shock..they opened their hearts and home to us..if that's not Thanksgiving, I don't know what is. I'm also GRATEFUL for my good fortune in life - how could I possibly list here everything I am going to thank God for this year?How do I thank him for friends who are always there for me? How do I thank him for my family...that I have had the pleasure of loving and being loved by? How do I thank him for his small kindnesses, even in times of grief? How do I thank him for the good fortune of being born in a country that millions of people would die to be a citizen in? How do I thank him for sacrifices made for myself and my countrymen by our men and women in the military? How do I thank him for the fact that although I'm scared to move to Hawaii..its HAWAII for god's sake! How do I thank him for the fact that the SunDevils have the best chance in 11 years to go the Rose Bowl?!!
How? How will I thank him? I'll close my eyes, and grab the hands of the person sitting next to me, squeeze hard and appreciate the day. I'll honor the day with joy and laughter and family...and a little bit too much Turkey and wine....an ASU football game...and I'll send my good thanks your way too...so that you too remember how great the great things in your life are. So that you too will bask in the glory of your good fortune, and with determination sneak a peek into the darkest crevices of your life and find a little light there too.
Enjoy your day. Enjoy your family. Enjoy your goodness. Enjoy the gifts that life has given you. Enjoy the near-misses. Enjoy the "almost did's", Enjoy the "glad I did's" Enjoy the lessons learned. Enjoy the opportunities recognized...enjoy the bliss of not knowing what you missed on the other stuff...enjoy it all. Its one glorious, fabulous day. No gifts to give...no chaos or clutter. Enjoy the simplicity of giving thanks.
Because on Friday...we'll go back to rushing around...even more so because its officially the holidays...and we'll need those moments of peace and joy all that much more.
Happy Thanksgiving.
Love,
-T.

No comments:
Post a Comment