
Every day, someone asks me about my sister and my Nana. And tonight, my sister wrote a beautiful update in her blog, so I was inspired to do so as well, especially since mine has been so...UGH lately.
You might recall that within the same week, Nana was hit by a car and at 24 weeks, Mia went into labor and was air-evaced to a hospital in Denver that could handle a pre-term baby that little. The week was horrifying. The only thing I could say to it was "everyone I love is still alive and safe..." and be grateful for that, despite the worry for everyone.
My sister is still pregnant. Despite what the doctors said about second pregnancies not being as long as first, as of yesterday, she beat that odd. She beat LOTS of odds - she has been on best rest for 12 weeks and in an out of the hospital just about every other week since she was released from the hospital. A total ARMY of people have made this bed rest possible, even with a 2 year old, not the least of which is my brother-in-law Brooks, his Mom and my Mom. In shifts, with love and dedication, they all did what needed to do -- while Mia did what I think is most amazing (the three of you will forgive me): STAYED IN BED. I mean, are you KIDDING ME?! SO - what was once an extremely serious life and death situation has turned into giggy anticipation of how long this pregnancy can last. Mia is 35 weeks..she is hoping for 38 weeks. After 12 weeks of bed rest, 3 more seems possible. We're out of the woods...and the sun is shining...and its going to be a beautiful day.
Meanwhile, on the opposite side of life's journey - Nana has whipped up her own miracle. Last Sunday, Mom and Jeff and I went to see Nana in the care home she has been in since her release from the physical therapy center. She hasn't been out of bed for 12 weeks. So...we were shocked when she asked us indignantly (in response to a discussion we were having) "well, why WOULDN'T I walk?!" My Mom and I looked at one another. I tried not to act TOO surprised. I simply said "well, let's go for a walk." I have to tell you, I was honestly shocked. Amazed, grateful, but a
little stunned. I mean, we knew she was physically ABLE to walk, but we thought she had forgotten she could walk. My Mom asked them to remove the wheel chair so she could forget she ever DIDN'T walk and she has been walking every single day. This is a beautiful thing for so many reasons...not the least of which is the fact that we can enjoy her at my Mom's again. When she was wheel chair bound, that just wasn't possible. Her eyes sparkled when we went for a walk, she held onto Mom and Jeff, but she didn't stumble, hesitate or show any sign of insecurity. She walked as she always has: with pride.The mind is an amazing thing. Its powers are beyond our comprehension. It can do things that not even love can do. It can do what the fear in all of us is afraid to hope for. In the cases of these two amazing women (both Gemini's) it did what all the medicine in the world couldn't do: made up its mind, and did it. The mind just did what it was told to do, by two amazing women who never, never, never gave up.
I'm so honored by their internal power. I'm so envious of their strength. I'm so proud I'm related!

2 comments:
The pride goes both ways sistah! You have your own strengths that amaze me - we're cut from the same cloth. That cloth was made into very different people, but of the same stuffing! :) I love you!
Mia - Congrats on the healthy little girl! And, can I say that I am very Jealous of how great you look! I have 18 weeks left and I think I'm bigger already! :-)
Post a Comment