One of the blogs in my first "blogging year" was about Miss America (click the link to read it). Tonight, I saw a commercial for Miss America '08 - its on TLC this year. The tag line for the ad was quite clever: "Before there were TV dance contests and TV singing contests, there was a show where you had to be good at everything." To which I quickly said to myself "I am already inundated daily with images of incredibly beautiful but talentless women."
THAT'S IT! That is what has changed in America. Its why we aren't really all that interested in Miss America. We like the singing and dancing shows BECAUSE it isn't overly polished...and we like to root for the little guy - and we enjoy the experience of watching them get better..oh, and we like that the judges are even more catty than we are. Miss America lacks the human experience, the drama of evolution and the opportunity to "root for the little guy" and it TOTALLY lacks catty judges.
Even TLC knows that: they have another show on regularly (that I haven't watched): Miss America: Reality Check. I haven't seen it...but now I understand, showing Miss America TLC is a cross promo to market the show they created to mock the insanity of Miss America. Its all a little TOO camp for me.
I'm curious though, what my personal obsession is with Miss America.
Tuesday, January 22, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
I think your personal "obsession" with M. America stems from watching it as children when we believed WE would be so "perfect" when we grew up. Now we realize beauty often lies in the IMperfections! oh, yeah, and we'll never be that "perfect", but we still kind of like to dream.... :)
Post a Comment