Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Hawaii Photo Update

Well, well, well - moving to Hawaii is the blog equivalent of winning an Academy award...suddenly, people are visiting the blog, (rather than being guilted into doing it). For those of you commenting on the fact that I haven't posted anything...you know..my life wasn't TOTALLY boring in AZ. Although, the weekends are totally worth living for here, and so here's an update.

Last weekend, Valentines Day. Jeff made me a beautiful dinner and brought me a lei, instead of flowers (see photo). We learned that this type of lei is the kind you get to wish you well on a journey. Since we are on a journey of sorts, we thought that was kind of cool. Its still beautiful and a very "Aloha" greeting to opening the fridge. I wore it all evening. Well. Not ALL evening.

On Friday evening, we went out with some people from Jeff's work. Roopal, who Jeff has known for years, and was instrumental in his move here, has been incredibly welcoming. We went to a place called "Pearl Ultra Lounge" - I found it kind of funny, because it was very "Scottsdale", sos we felt right at home. It was at the Ala Moana Mall, which is the big mall in downtown/Waikiki. Its the mall that has it if it is to be had here (Nordstrom's opening March 5th). We got lost, and I kept telling Jeff if he would just listen to me, I could find the mall, dammit, and..I did. We had a nice time at Pearl, made some friends, (Roopal sitting next to me in picture); we met another nice couple, the girl is from Moscow (I don't know, but I wondered the same thing) and she "gets a little chilly" here; the irony there is rich indeed. The other thing I learned at Pearl...is that unlike Scottsdale, being a blonde is unusual...almost no one else was blonde (except the Moscowvite turned Hawaiian) All in all, a nice night, until we had to leave because Jeff was wearing "slippers" (flip-flops) which kind'a made me laugh for two reasons:
1) he was all dressed up everywhere else (nice shirt, nice pants)
2) when you wear ANY kind of shoe here its a big step towards dressing up.

On Saturday, we took our hike (the lighthouse one), which we have vowed to be able to run up and down and on Sunday, with the "Pearl gang" we went on a Catamaran ride. THAT was cool, we saw Waikiki from the ocean, saw some dolphins (even jumping out of the air!!) and even the big daddy: humpback whales. Although the whales were about a football field away, but we COULD see the tails. It was amazing. Now, naturally, I no longer had memory on the camera but I did get some great shots anyway:

Jeff - the Catamaran behind him. It holds up to 80 people!!


Weather on the water is GREAT - raining on island

And the GRAND DADDY Photo: Look CLOSELY...DOLPHINS!! It was DAMN hard to get that picture...there are about 8 pictures of just the ocean...


So that was our 2nd weekend here...next weekend, North Shore!! Hoping to see (but not catch) some of those legendary waves!!

Mahalo!!

No comments: