My Dad used to spend alot of time in their backyard, it was actually a passion of his to take care of the yard and along with that came an appreciation for nature, especially birds. Many times I would walk into my parent's house to be immediately greeted with an update on the avian visitors.
One night, my sister, Brooks and I were sitting in my parent's backyard and a HUGE barn owl flew over the backyard and landed in one of the trees. His wingspan had to have been 3 feet. I told my sister and Brooks, "Wait until we tell Dad! He'll be amazed!" My Dad passed away the next day, very early in the morning. I never got to tell my Dad. That night, we knew my father was terminally ill, but we did not think his passing would come that night. The owl flew over our house just as my Mom rushed out of their bedroom to get a towel because my Dad was coughing up blood. It was probably then that he started dying, then that the owl flew over.
After I moved into my place on Bell Rd, which was right around the corner from my parent's old house, the house he passed away in, I heard the owl -- regularly. I always thought that it was my father saying goodnight. The owl came throughout the second year after my Dad passed and he tucked me in. He gave me peace. He gave me an on going connection to my Dad. It was as if he saw me through the darkness. Then, he left, just as Jeff and I were falling madly in love.
The night before Jeff and I left, he made a reappearance. He came once more. I have been wondering what my Dad would say about our leaving..and I had decided that he would support it in the name of adventure. I felt the owl's visit was my Dad again. I felt it was him seeing us off. I felt it was him reminding me that "good-bye" is only what you make of it...it is only good-bye, if it is so in your heart.
With this blessing from my Dad, I am reminded to appreciate the journey, empower the heart and go boldly, with his blessing and love into the next stage of my life, and spread my gigantic wings.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
beautiful. I didn't remember that owl, how wonderful you had that reminder when you needed it. Here's to your new adventure. I know Dad would be so proud of you. I love you, lilone
I forgot about the symbolism of the owl for you and your nature-hippie friend, me, is inspired by him finding you again to wish you well on the journey. -M.
Post a Comment