Sunday, June 08, 2008

You don't have WHAT?!!

There are some parts of island living that are awesome, there are some things that are laughable...and then there are things that seriously make you want to bang your head against a volcanic rock.

I have gotten used to going to the grocery store and seeing bare shelves. I am talking bare shelves like you see on TV right before a hurricane, that is a daily occurance here. On any given day, there is a pretty good chance that what I need at the store is not in stock (today, there were out of Yogurt and Asparagus). These leads to stock piling. HOWEVER, the problem with stockpiling is that you really can't do it with fresh food and produce. Alternately, there is ALWAYS fresh fish, and rice, so we make do.

Today, though there was a moment where I wondered what planet (not island) I live on. We needed to change our air filter. Now, this involves the typical drama of "what size" is it? But, in an effort to think ahead, we had already looked at the size when we went to Home Depot 2 weekends ago, and purchased replacements. Home Depot is about 25 minutes away (this little tidbit of knowledge will come in handy later). SO - Jeff climbed up the ladder today, took out the 12-3 inch screws, and pulled out the airfilter, which was...THE WRONG SIZE - the previous tenant had jammed one that was too large in there. NIIIIIIIIIICE. No biggie - just go to City Mill (the Ace Hardware/Target hybrid that is in the nieghborhood). Well, as with all "small" home projects, its not that easy. City Mill doesn't carry them - they told Jeff to look at Long's Drug. Long's Drug doesn't carry them. I looked at Safeway - Safeway doesn't carry them. I mean, are you freaking KIDDING ME? The closest place for airfilters is HOME DEPOT? Wholly cow!! THAT is craziness. THIS is when I miss living in a place where there are 3 Home Depots, 2 Lowes, 2 Ace Hardwares and 2 Wal-Marts within a 10 mile radius.

Well, at least the beach is within a 10 mile radius. I got that going for me.

1 comment:

Mama Mia said...

Home Depot = work
Beach = play and coronas - you got it good chica.