Sunday, November 09, 2008

Fall has come to Hawaii

The flight that we took to move out here, I remember a woman commenting to her travel companion, "I could never live there..there is no change in seasons." This gave me pause, as I wondered how I would deal with the same weather all of the time.

I needn't have worried. While its true that we didn't really note much of a difference between spring and summer here, there WAS a difference, we were so busy appreciating the difference between summer here and summer in PHX that it didn't matter much.

However, the difference in the fall, while subtle is definite. The winds are from a different direction and that brings bigger waves to the entire island, but especially the North Shore. Very soon, our world famous surfing competitions will begin there and I personally, can not wait to see it happen. Wind coming from a different direction may seem like a small change, but in fact, it effects everything here on our little island. With the wind, comes wetter weather. Our very own extinct volcano, Kokohead looks lush and green when only a few weeks ago, she looked withered and dry. The clouds are lower, and so they hang on the small mountain range near our house. Even where we are , the rain has come more frequently. And on days that it isn't raining, we have clouds which threaten rain, if only a light smattering. In comparison, I think it rained at our house 2X this entire summer.

The water looks different too. Due to the stronger winds and the waves they create, she looks less azure and more steely blue. Its easier to imagine how treacherous the crossing from island to island might be right now...on the other hand, this water will soon give bear to whale watching...and we are hopeful that we will see plenty this winter.

The thing about living here is that you become more aware of the world around you..including the most gentle of weather patterns.

Mahalo.

1 comment:

Mama Mia said...

Sounds wonderful! Fall is definately come here too! Though for us, this means mountains of leaves, crazy wind and the crisp smell of cold in the mornings!