Sunday, February 26, 2006

MMMMMMM...Shakespear


So - it started with a review in the AZ Rep...not really known as the ultimate cultural reference, but once in awhile, you can dig up a winner if you look closely enough in the A&E section. ANYWAY...this play called MacHomer was a presentation of "that Scottish Play" (I learned this weekend never to refer to MacBeth by its name because its bad luck!?) in the voices from the Simpsons. I mean WHAT A HOOT! Anyway..as soon as I read it I KNEW Jeff had to see it. I bet you don't know this, but Jeff is an English Literature major and my nearest Shakespear expert..he is also a goofy Simpson's Fan.

I, not knowing one whit about Shakespear and only being a moderate fan of the Simpsons thought it would be a little less entertaining to me..but as it turns out - it was hilarious! Its also a one man show...I mean, you have GOT to see this for yourself. The actor, Rick Miller - is a creative genuis, the way that he uses the stage and changes the "sets". Its an energetic, hilarious, 1 hour and 15 minutes. Also - it was worth the drive to Mesa, which I believe is the most staggering endorsement that I can personally give. Jeff and I went there early figuring on a casual dinner at a little cafe that was surely near the new Mesa Arts "complex". Well...ANYWAY they built this really beautiful arts center - but, the culinary community apparently doesn't believe that anyone goes there...because our dining choices were Jack in the Box and Subway. SO...if you head to the Mesa Arts Center - eat first...because let me tell you..the dining choices inside of the center are..hmm sort of along the lines of Homer's ideal dinner...well we opted for a pretzel with cheese for a pre-show nosh..since we had over an 1 1/2 hours to kill before the show.
Anyway - to say that the highlight of the evening was the show shouldn't be interpreted as an underhanded slam of the show - it really was one of a kind - fun, and I would go see it again...I might even be inclined to go see "that Scottish play" should the occasion ever arise..because frankly, Homer as MacBeth will definately NEVER leave me and watching some classical actor screech through MacBeth while I remember the scene through Homer's eyes, might be almost as rich!

No comments: