So - tonight was the night! Let me first say that Madonna did not disappoint and our seats were pretty awesome. Madonna had the usual (hot, gorgeous) dancers, numerous disco balls, and of course, what would a Madonna concert be without a cross making an appearance? I have to say though that I would prefer that Madonna stay out of the trend of making political statements through live performances...I mean, when I went to see U2 - I knew I would be signing up for Bono's "ONE" showcase, and really - I wouldn't expect anything else. But MADONNA? I mean, she drops to the floor in a gigantic disco, rocks the stage with a song from "Confessions" drops straight into "Like a Virgin" while riding a horse saddle-ala-carousel in a manner that let's just say, doesn't suggest virginity. She is awesome to watch, that amazing athletic dance queen. All the more amazing that its clear she DOES actually sing her songs (thanks to the 82+degrees tempature that she insists on to save her voice.) This is the point in the show where she shows up on a cross...as I said...I expected something along those lines....Then she takes us all down a notch with songs I can't recall because I was too busy gaping at the 12' screens showcasing starving children in Africa, dead dolphins, world chaos ala volcanos all the while watching a count of soon-to-be parentless children (12 million for those who are counting along with Madonna) and then some web links to foundations she feels address these very important issues. And they ARE important issues, but the thing is - this is the show that was supposed to turn the world into one giant dance floor...are you on a downer yet? I was a little, I have to say...this montage was follow by a couple of mellow songs...immediately followed by a totally ironic and KICKING disco montage complete with white suit ala John Travolta and the entire Saturday Night Live disco dance ---I mean, it was HILARIOUS..and ironic and fun. At this point, as an audience we who have paid through the nose are admonished for not dancing enough. Huh? Give me a minute Madge, its 90 degrees in here and I have just come back from some pretty depressing 12' images. The rest of the show from there totally picked up and included "Lucky Star" complete with a lighted cape! Lots of tunes from Confessions....and then...no encore. Nope. I guess PHX didnt get down enough. I mean she has released 11 albums, it wasn't for lack of material. THAT was a bit of a bummer. The show was 2 hours...another 15 minutes in our now approaching 100 degree arena would have been nice touch.
Now - don't get me wrong - I'm glad I went. She's 47 for god's sake, she hasn't been here since "Like a Virgin" tour and I am getting harder and harder pressed to pay through the nose to drive out the Glendale "Hell Hole" arena. The show was a spectacular of sound and sight. She sounds AWESOME and I got to be 12 again for a few minutes. And indeed - I was 12 again. To the point of jumping up and down like a little girl when Jeff caught me a gold balloon dropped from the ceiling (this is a tradition for us, if it drops from the sky at a concert/show - Jeff catches it for his beloved). Not so sure thought that I would have BROUGHT my 12 y/o like many other did...it was quite an impact seeing her act it all out on stage while dropping the "F-bomb" at every turn...I wasn't offended, but I wouldn't want to explain it all to my daughter, I will tell you that!
Here's a couple of reviews for your reading pleasure:
Entertainment Weekly
Chicago Sun Times
Daily Mail (UK)
As for me - its another thing that was on my list of things to do before I'm 30. Now that I am 33, it was long over due. Glad I did it. I'm putting looking as good as Madonna on my list of things to do before I'm 40!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment