Monday, June 05, 2006

Bride-zilla Update


It was a wedding weekend. I mean, wedding planning weekend. No - we did not elope. Although it was discussed.

On Saturday - it was 112 (yes, degrees) and Jeff and I ran around town looking at potential reception sites..GOD it was hot. Jeff was a great sport...and we confirmed that there will NOT be a wedding in PHX in June. Anyway we are very close to a decision..and as soon as we set a date, everyone will get a "save the date" card. You will know the date ALMOST as soon as we do!

On Sunday - Mom and I went to a wedding tradeshow. YEP - Its NUTS that a former event planner, let alone one who has to attend FAR too many tradeshows as part of her job, WILLINGLY chose to attend this debacle. Stick with me here, because the description of this day is RICH. First of all, let me state: I could NOT be more excited to be marrying Jeff..I'm luckier than I deserve to be with this man...and I can't believe that he feels the same. You see, its getting married to Jeff, more than planning a wedding, that I am excited about. If I could just blink my eyes and have everyone I love there, standing witness while I promised my love to Jeff, that would be awesome. That is not to be - so wedding tradeshow I go.
WHAT A FREAK'N SCENE: Some attendees left their manners at the door..I was literally almost knocked on my feet twice by VERY determined attendees. I wonder if Emily Post has a book about attending wedding tradeshows? Meanwhile, I am trying to avoid further injury from a papercut from some flyer that is being shoved into your hand by an exhibitor who believes that is an acceptable marketing strategy. Then there were these women there who were literally STILL jumping up and down about being engaged..leaving me wondering, "Did they get engaged HERE?!". There is TONS of cake samples (like we need cake when a white dress is in our futures), although I have to say, someone DID have the grace to tell me that there was frosting on my face (he he)!! You could listen to a Frank Sinatra wanna be crooning at you while you walked by - he wasn't so good - it was a little embarrassing to witness the real-life version of the "Wedding Singer". I DID get a "future Mrs. Coomans" shirt made in Rhinestones..its a special order so it will here in a couple of weeks...Mom bought for me and Jeff nearly collapsed with joy when I told him. (Hey, I told you - if Madonna can do it, so can I.) Mom came with me...God Bless her, MOTB responsibilies this is not one...and she was a great sport about it.

So after being engaged for an entire 2 weeks this is what I have learned:
1) all men who get engaged are shocked to learn that planning a wedding happens immediately and that there is no rest for the weary.
2) all married women want to plan YOUR wedding (because they had so much fun planning thiers?!)
3) I swear to god, its OK to ask me about something other than the wedding.
4) I'm still not used to referring to Jeff as my fiance, I got some good advice: "boyfriend who I am going to marry."
5) everyone is as terrified as I am about Bride-zilla possibilities and has told me to watch the show on TV. Hm.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Now listen up...This is the MOTB speakin'.........The scene just described by the Bride was just as she said, maybe even a little more frenetic...But what a GAL she was...I mean...She had a firm grip on her goody bag (at my suggestion) and only said once, "You have GOT" to be kidding." Did not deck the owner of the foot, elbow and shoulder who took advantage of her diminuative stature to taste test another piece of cake, and I don't believe I heard the F-word once. Several times she DID cite Jeff's good sense in not being there. I cannot believe the number of girls who are not in the least bit prepared to be married and were there with those classy name tags declaring that they were the Bride...and looking at T made me so very proud and happy for her...She is not kidding, marrying Jeff is the big deal...not the wedding. It's just that there are so many of you she loves and feels should have the pleasure of seeing your dreams for her coming true. Throughout the entire time, our little T had you all in mind...sensitivity never left our little Leo. Several times I remember thinking that no dress is going to make a 'princess' out of THAT one...Compared to Tara they were waaay out of her league. We had a few laughs too....got some good ideas...and bailed at the same time into the heat..Which seemed balmy compared to the bridal frenzy under way. That said, I enjoyed being there and fairly sloshed in my delight at the prospects of the lifetime of collaboration that she and Jeff are going to share.She has seen it happen, knows it can happen, and now it's her turn. They are equally fortunate to have found each other...Once, when Tara was about seven and was being argumentative, I ran out of acceptable words to reel her in. So, I used a big word to get my frustration vented. I said "Tara, you are so CONTENTIOUS!" She replied, not knowing the meaning of the big word, "I am not!" Now I say, "Tara, you are so ready." Don't argue with me. I love you.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for making me cry mom and T, that is, with laughter and a little sentimentality. I am so proud of my "older but not bigger" sistah. She's right, I (married) AM SOOO excited about planning this wedding...I mean about HER planning this wedding....Yeah that's it. I think it's because it's such a WONDEROUS day and when it's YOUR day, it's stressful. So through you, T, I get to experience all the wonder and excitment again sans stress. I am SO pleased you have chosen Jeff and he has chosen you. I feel SO good about the two of you. So good. You two are "Better Together". I Love you, and just tell me to back off when needed. After all I had MY day!! :) Oh yeah, and tell me "HELP!" when needed too. :) XOXO lilone