Wednesday, August 27, 2008

America the Great

Well, its that time again. We have an election impending. I LOOOVE election years. Its so exciting, you just never really know what is going to happen. Interesting conversations abound and once again, I get the chance to argue with Adam again over politics (which is'nt at ALL diminished by the phone, BTW.)

Now that the conventions have kicked off - its all ON now! I always watch the conventions-both of them. I love the hoopla, the optimism, the glimmer of hope; I also love listening to impassioned speeches by party leaders and candidates. I am a TOTAL sucker for democracy. I'm almost always struck at the conventions by the people who attend - talk about middle America. These folks are people so excited by a campaign, a cause, an ideology that they take 1/2 of their annual vacation to go sit in a conference center. WOW. But that's what makes this country great. Personally, I just want to go skiing or diving on my next vacation...

Another thing that makes this country great: this year, we have made world history. We have nominated a man of color to be candidate for President. NO OTHER WESTERNIZED COUNTRY HAS DONE THIS. Bill Clinton said it best tonight: "people have always been more impressed with the power of our example, than an example of our power." This is the kind of history you can be proud of. Whatever you think of the candidate, you have to say --its about damn time. I was so proud to be an American today.

I just hope there is a woman president in my lifetime.

I'll watch the Republican convention next week too. Wait until you see the hats that the Republican delegates wear! I am absolutely SURE that I will not see woman in an orange pantsuit walk across the stage. Kind'a makes you wonder how the Republicans can top it, doesn't it?!

See what I mean?! The suspense is killing me.

No matter what you think of one candidate or another - please, please, please vote. Never before has it been more important to vote. Our country is indeed at a crossroads, and if you believe we should turn right, then vote that way - if you think we should turn left, then vote that way....but VOTE. Contribute to what makes this country special: the fact the we VOTE. Even if you want to go skiing on your next vacation..its OK...you can still participate in democracy.

1 comment:

Baby Mac said...

Know why no one is commenting? We are all afraid of starting political debates! :-)
I agree with you 100% - I love the process of democracy, event if the process feels a little broken sometimes!
And, now, after two weeks of listening to them as 'official candidates,' I'm done - I want new candidtates!